Thursday, August 12, 2010

Thoughts for Thursday by guest blogger Emily Farmer

Share

Baseball Memory


Recently a local christian radio station was doing a contest. They were collecting favorite baseball memory stories. The prize was lunch with the Atlanta Braves pitcher Tim Hudson. My family and I are big Braves fans and we also like Tim Hudson. I thought why not share my favorite story someone has to win. Right? I very sadly report we didn’t win but, I still think this a great story so I thought I’d share it with you this week.

Some time back this verse Act 20:24” But my life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for finishing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus—the work of telling others the Good News about the wonderful grace of God.” (NLT) was brought to life for me and really struck me as this is my purpose. This is what God has put me here on this earth to do. My favorite baseball story reflects this verse very well I think.

My favorite baseball memory happened this past spring baseball season. Our family has played baseball in a local church outreach Baseball Ministry for the past several years. My husband always coaches at team or two since we have 3 boys. Our oldest son who is 10 eats, sleeps, and breathes baseball. I have always laughed and said he was born with a ball in his hand.
While attending a coaches meeting my husband met a Coach who turned out to be our oldest sons coach. My husband agreed to be his assistant coach. The teams name none other than the Braves. Our son was so thrilled to be a Brave. As the season continued we got to know this coach a little better, we learned of his very rough past year and half. The more my husband talked to him, the more my husband learned the coach was searching for Christ. We later found out that while on a family vacation in May the Coach come to terms with what he needed and that was Christ and accepted HIM as his savior. The last game of the season the Coach told the team of 8 boys and 1 girl that because of all of them he was now a Christian. About a month after that he was baptized. He credits it all to his baseball team and three assistant coaches. This will be one of my favorite baseball memories for life. My family was used by God and was a small part of HIS plan to serve others and bring them to Christ.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

What a great post and reminder of how we can be used by God if we allow Him to work in our lives. Thank you!

Blessings!
Melanie

~ melscoffeebreak.blogspot.com ~

Lunt Family said...

Thank you for sharing. It is a good reminder that we need to be positive and good examples wherever we are because we never know who is watching. Even at sporting events.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Copyright 2010 Design by sweet cheeky designs