Thursday, August 5, 2010

Thoughts for Thursday by guest blogger Emily Farmer

Share

Family Life Verse

Last week I wrote about having a personal life verse. At the end of the post I encouraged you to even think about a family life verse. That’s what I want to share this week. When my husband and I started having children we did a parenting class at our church. One of the things the couple talked about was a “family motto”. They encouraged us to look at verses that would reflect our family values and our love for God and come up with a family motto. We looked up several verse that held great value to us like:

Col. 3:23 “ Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.”

1 John 4:19” We love because he first loved us."


After several times of tweaking our motto this is what we came up with.

“In all that we do, we LOVE God, each other and do our best.”


After coming up with the perfect family motto I typed it up put it in a magnetic picture frame and placed it on our refrigerator. It has been there ever since and that was about 8 or 9 years ago. We see it daily and its a good reminder of what we value and are suppose to do. We are always quoting it to the boys in one way or another. For instance when they say they can’t do something we say “Yes you can, do your best.” As a mother I hope this is something that will stick with my boys for a lifetime. And maybe one day they will have their own life verse and family life verse.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Copyright 2010 Design by sweet cheeky designs