Thursday, April 1, 2010

Thoughts for Thursday by Emily Farmer

Share

Leading Children
I recently talked with a friend of mine who is in a Children's Director leadership role at our church. I was wondering about discipleship groups for kids. I have been rolling the idea around in my head and praying about taking on a group of 4 or 5th graders. It's really something I have been wrestling God with for the past year or so I guess. The other day we had lunch to discuss all the possibilities that were available. My thought was to take a group now and on into middle school so I can be involved with the middle school ministry when my oldest son gets to that stage which will be in 2 years. I just know when he gets to the middle school age I want to be involved a great deal to know what is going on. That role right now I'm not sure what it is.
At our meeting she gave me a lot of information about the groups. I was assuming I would have to lead a girls discipleship group since I'm a female. I found out different , I could lead a group of boys to my surprise. Although once the boys hit that middle school age they require gender leading gender. So that day I left with more questions to answer. Like which gender do I lead, do I really want to be leading one of my sons? Would I enjoy that more than having a girls group? So many questions. As we left it that day she is getting me a level 1 book they do so I can do it with my two older boys at home and give it a test drive to see if it's something I really want to do with either of them.
I still don't know I have an answer as to a girls or boys group but, I'm leaning towards a girls group. One thing I do know is this. I am strongly feeling it's something I might need to consider and take that step of obedience. I am praying about it and really waiting on God to give all the answers and work out the details. Every time I ponder on it I get this exciting feeling of yeah, "just do it". I know that feeling, I've had it several times before, it's God's still small voice saying "yes" this is what you are to do. My whole point to this story is to tell you to be still, listen and obey God if you sense him leading you in a service ship role.
Train a child in the way they should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it. Pro. 22:6
"Be still and know that I am God" Ps. 46:10

"He who refreshes others will himself be refreshed" Proverbs 11:25 NIV


1 comments:

Braley Mama said...

Yay! I love it when he puts something new in our hearts. It sounds like he has given you a heart for it.' He that has begun a good work in you will see it thru!" God bless your ministry!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Copyright 2010 Design by sweet cheeky designs