Thursday, September 11, 2008

Thoughts for Thursday

Share

Leaving a Legacy


A while back my 5 year old daughter & I were driving down the road at night & she was looking up at the moon. She was asking me some pretty deep questions when all of a sudden she came out with, “Why does Daddy have those lines (aka wrinkles) on his forehead?” The laughter that ensued could not be helped. A few months later she proceeded to speak of an older person and how their skin was “loose”. I’m always interested & amused to see how kids perceive us “old folks”.

I know we have all heard the phrase, “Leaving a Legacy” at some point. That phrase came to life for me when my Dad passed away almost 3 years ago. My son was only 2 weeks old & my daughter was 3 when we got the news. Not long after Dad died I remember sitting at my kitchen table & all of a sudden it hit me that after 29 years with him, now all I had were the memories. I can’t see or talk to him anymore, just remember our times together & things he told & taught me. I realized right then & there that when my kids grow up they too will have memories of me. What kind of memories will they have? I want my kids to have good memories of me, of the good times we had, and the good things my husband & I instilled in them. I don’t want them to remember me as a Mom who just cleaned house & never played with them, who gave spankings more than hugs, or didn’t say I love you enough. So I try each & every day to make good memories for them. I don’t know about you, but some days I lay my head down at night & wonder if I could have done a better job that day. Did I handle that situation correctly? Did I set a good example? Well, in the end I just pray. I pray I can be all of those things God wants me to be to my children.

I had already been thinking of writing about Leaving a Legacy when at a friend's Father's visitation I was speaking with someone about how many people were there & how amazing that was. I don’t remember who I was speaking with, but they said, “That just tells you what kind of legacy he is leaving behind.”

I hope my children’s memories of me are not just of the “lines on my forehead”, or the loose skin I have to look forward to, but of a Godly, loving Mom who they enjoyed trips to Disney with, bedtime stories, and lots of yucky vegetables I lovingly forced them to eat.

What kind of legacy will you leave behind?



P.S. Remembering the families left behind from 9/11 in my prayers today. May God bring you peace and comfort.



If you would like to be, or know someone who you would like to see on our Friday's Feature please let me know! Do you have a product you'd like to giveaway on Win It Wednesday (aka inexpensive advertising) please let me know!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Copyright 2010 Design by sweet cheeky designs